World News

Peaceful UK suburb turned into ‘mayhem’ with man dead and doughnutting yobs

A quiet Brit suburb descended into “mayhem” after a group of mourners allegedly left behind a trail of destruction in their wake.

Some 150 mourners headed to Moat Lane in Yardley, Birmingham, to celebrate the life of Liam Jones, 22, who died after his electric bike collided with a car on the lane.

Four people are on bail and cops have launched a murder investigation following the August 1 collision.

Residents however have since spoken to Birmingham Live about the impact the celebration had on the local community on August 6.

“I have never seen anything like it,” mum-of-five Michaela told the outlet. “It was hectic and disrespectful to the community.”

She said dozens of young people were surrounding the homes, while images from cops show chaotic scenes with people doing wheelies on motorbikes and others creating plumes of smoke doing doughnuts.

“It was my daughter’s birthday and within 10 minutes there were around 150 people [outside the house]. It was worrying. I’ve got five kids and they didn’t like it,” Michaela added.

Elderly residents reported being stuck in their homes, with one resident who wanted to remain anonymous saying: “Elderly people are terrified.

“There's not many young people in the area.”

Young people had been playing music at the memorial site every night since Liam’s death residents said, but Sunday was said by most to have been the worst of it.

"It wasn't just bikes it was souped-up cars," she added. "You could see smoke coming out of the wheels. The noise was just horrendous.

"I've never seen such disgusting behaviour in the 60 years I've lived here. It's shattered my nerves.”

West Midlands Police said it received more than 60 calls from residents and a helicopter and riot police were deployed in response to the gathering.

But a response from authorities took some time because “the police couldn't get involved," one resident claimed.

“They came round yesterday and apologised to us all and said their hands were tied. They weren't allowed to do anything.”

One man said: “The police came down and apologised. That's fair enough. I know they had to [wait] before they moved in [but] it took them too long to do it.

"They seemed to disperse when the riot police came. In a matter of minutes, they sorted it.”

To stay up to date with all the latest news, make sure you sign up to one of our newsletters here.

Source: Read Full Article