On the hottest summer days, this is the dish to make because it requires zero cooking. A quick marinade of lemon juice, seaweed and fresh vegetables sets up a flavorful, no-fuss ceviche that tastes like the sea despite having no seafood in it. Store-bought minced or “riced” cauliflower won’t work for this dish. You have to start by grating or mincing a fresh whole head of cauliflower — that extra step will be more than worth the work it requires. ¡Buen provecho!
Yield: 4 servings
Total time: 45 minutes
- 1 small cauliflower (2 pounds), leaves removed
- 1 serrano chile, seeded and minced
- 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice (from 3 large lemons), plus lemon wedges for serving
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons minced nori sheets, nori flakes or granulated kelp
- 1 teaspoon wakame, minced or crushed (optional)
- 1 teaspoon liquid aminos or soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce, plus more for serving
- Coarse sea salt and black pepper
- 2 ripe medium Hass avocados, pitted, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 1 medium beefsteak tomato, cored and cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 1 Persian cucumber or 1/2 English cucumber, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 3/4 cup packed finely chopped cilantro
- 12 corn tostadas or 7 ounces tortilla chips (about 10 cups), for serving
1. Grate the cauliflower against the large holes of a grater, rotating to grate all the florets and stopping at the core. Alternatively, cut off the florets then mince with a knife or pulse in a food processor until it resembles a riced texture.
2. Transfer the cauliflower to a large bowl and add the serrano chile, lemon juice, olive oil, nori, wakame, liquid aminos and hot sauce. Season with salt and pepper and mix well. Season again to taste; it should be slightly salty. Cover. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes or up to 1 day.
3. When ready to serve, add the avocados, tomato, cucumber and cilantro, and mix well. Taste for salt and adjust as needed. Serve over tostadas or with tortilla chips, with lemon wedges, salt and hot sauce.
This article originally appeared in The New York Times.
Source: Read Full Article