World News

Guest caught ‘potentially fatal’ disease while using hot tub at posh UK resort

  • Bookmark
  • Never miss any of the fun stuff. Get the biggest stories and wackiest takes from the Daily Star, including our special WTF Wednesday email

    We have more newsletters

    A guest contracted a “potentially fatal” disease after using a hot tub at a luxury Welsh resort.

    They became ill after using the hot tub at Dylan Coastal Resort in Laugharne, Carmarthenshire, in June.

    They were staying at the resort and were diagnosed with Legionnaires' disease – a lung infection which people can get from inhaling affected droplets of water.

    READ MORE: Brighton seafront major incident as police and fire engines rush to hotel blaze

    The guest – who had been staying at the £500 a night complex– has since been treated and is recovering from the condition.

    The guest has now received an apology from management at the resort, describing the infection as an “isolated incident”.

    The hot tub has removed from the resort, Wales Live reports, and a review of water quality management has been carried out since the incident came to light.

    According to the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) Legionnaires’ disease “is a potentially fatal form of pneumonia and everyone is susceptible to infection”.

    The HSE added that: “The bacterium Legionella pneumophila and related bacteria are common in natural water sources such as rivers, lakes, and reservoirs but usually in low numbers.

    "They may also be found in purpose-built water systems such as cooling towers, evaporative condensers, hot and cold water systems, and spa pools. If conditions are favourable the bacteria may grow, increasing the risks of Legionnaires’ disease, and it is therefore important to control the risks by introducing appropriate measures.”

    • Hotel guest woke up to find manager sucking his toes – and now he plans to sue

    A spokesman for Dylan Coastal Resort said: “We can confirm that bacteria was detected in a hot tub at one of our resort lodges last month. This was a one-off incident and we moved immediately to address the issue, liaising and working closely with the environmental health team at Carmarthenshire Council.

    "The hot tub in question has been taken offsite and a review has been carried out of the water quality management operations across the entire resort.

    “This review has also included assessments and further training for members of staff responsible for this operation so as to ensure this never happens again.

    "We have apologised to the family concerned who stayed at the lodge and we have emphasised that this was an isolated incident related to a single hot tub.

    It is the first time an occurrence like this has happened. The safety and wellbeing of our guests is of the paramount importance to us and we continually update our procedures to ensure we meet the highest of health and safety standards.”

    Carmarthenshire councillor Ann Davies, cabinet member for planning policy and rural affairs, said: “The environmental health section of the council are aware of the situation and investigations are ongoing.”

    To stay up to date with all the latest news, make sure you sign up to one of our newsletters here.

    • Family

    Source: Read Full Article