World News

‘UK’s most dangerous plant’ leaves boy in ‘hell’ as he’s unable to dress himself

A teen in "absolute hell" can no longer dress himself after getting a blister 'the size of an orange' from what is known as the UK's most dangerous plant.

Ross McPherson, who reckons he brushed past the dreaded giant hogweed while cycling near his home in Dunbar, East Lothian, Scotland, said his hand erupted into huge blisters.

The 16-year-old said he then passed out from the pain of getting them removed without anaesthesia. He said the doctor 'cut like a line in it' and drained the fluid.

READ MORE: Bloke dies cutting grass in park after slicing his penis off with strimmer blade

“When I first noticed it, my hand was just red and slightly painful. I didn’t know what it was. It felt warm," he explained.

After the blister to his left hand came, he said he was in toruble. Ross explained: “The skin was swollen around my hand, it felt warm and it hurt.

“It impacted daily life quite a lot: I couldn’t put clothes over it and, because it was over my joints, I couldn’t really use my left hand.

“It felt like having a giant balloon on my hand that was susceptible to pain at any point in the day.”

He added: “I could barely get my coat off, I could barely put jumpers or t-shirts on; it was unusable basically – I couldn’t do anything with it.

  • Couple terrified by 5ft alligator that wandered into their home through dog flap

“I had smaller blisters over the knuckles, so moving my fingers was also excruciating, so I didn’t really do that either.”

Ross said his hand was initially assessed by his GP, who diagnosed contact dermatitis.

But he would ultimately be treated at Edinburgh’s Royal Infirmary after visiting its A&E department.

The teenager had a mixture of second and third-degree burns. He described the pain as “absolute hell”.

“Some of it was jelly so she opened it up and pulled the jelly out, and she cut around all the dead and blistered skin, and pulled it off – there was quite a lot of it," he said, adding that he fainted from the pain of the operation.

The giant hogweed is native to the Caucasus, but was introduced to Britain as an ornamental plant in 1817.

To stay up to date with all the latest news, make sure you sign up to one of our newsletters here.

Source: Read Full Article