World News

Terrified mum discovers venomous snake hiding in her daughter’s shoe

A mum tidying up after her kids got a nasty surprise when she came face-to-face with a venomous red-bellied black snake.

Kym Beechey, from Jilliby, New South Wales, Australia, was retrieving a lunchbox that had been left outside when she got a “snakey” surprise.

Lurking one of her daughter’s shoes, was a red bellied black snake – a species infamous for its agonising bite.

READ MORE: Perv teacher caught masturbating on school property kept list of 'top 10 hottest pupils'

Kym explained: “I headed to the front porch to collect an abandoned lunch box that was in danger of becoming the subject of a science experiment.

“I leaned down to pick up the lonely lunchbox and nearly head-butted my snakey friend, so although in a shoe it was my face that was in greatest danger. He was snuggled… coiled in the shoe"

“The shoe it was in is actually my daughter’s mountain bike riding shoe and she was very pleased I found it and not her!”

Kym, 56, recognised the danger straight away.

She said: “I was pretty certain it was a red belly black snake as we have had them here before.

“In fact, when I was in labour with my first child there was one in the house – and when I brought my child home from hospital, there was one in our bedroom.

“We know they can be about, so we do take care, however it is always a surprise to find them so close to you. In this case, so close to my face."

The bite of the red-bellied black snake is characterised by severe pain – causing swelling, prolonged bleeding, and localised necrosis or skin death, sometimes leading to amputation.

  • Man’s tongue amputated by doctors to save his life after being bitten by snake

The venom of the red-bellied black snake contains neurotoxins, myotoxins, and coagulants, and has haemolytic properties.

Its symptoms include nausea, vomiting, headache, abdominal pain, diarrhoea, or excessive sweating.

But it has not caused any recorded deaths down under and Ms Beechey knew it was unlikely to attack.

She said: “As you may have read, the species is capable of causing a dangerous venomous bite. I am aware of that but also know they are rarely aggressive.

“When I find them I like to just watch and wait for them to move on – and this one did move on.

“I was more concerned my silly dog would get bitten rather than me.”

As for why the shoes were outside in the first place, Kym said: “Eight adults live in our house on a semi-rural property.

“Four are elite athletes and have many pairs of training shoes, work boots and outdoor shoes.

“As we have had rain recently, all stay outside.”


  • Boy, 5, rescued from jaws of monster 10ft python trying to swallow him whole
  • Child bitten by deadly snake at daycare after it was caught 'crawling all over them'
  • Brave dog takes on deadly snake in backyard fight for its life in order to protect owner
  • Deadly snake seen chilling in shop's wine fridge – with sharp eyes spotting reptile

Source: Read Full Article