World News

21-stone thug kicked confused woman, 71, to death for mistaking his home for B&B

A 21-stone thug is starring down the barrel of life in jail for dragging a vulnerable woman from his house and battering her to death.

Margaret Barnes, 71, mistook the seaside townhouse of David Redfern, 46, for a B&B – he has now been found guilty of kicking or stamping on her after he dragged her out of the house by her ankles.

She suffered blunt force trauma, Home Office pathologist Dr Brian Rodgers found, following the incident on Marine Parade, Barmouth.

READ MORE: Bloke with cucumber stuck up bum claims 'it grew inside me as I ate so many'

Barnes was found by Redfern, who has been described as six foot one and with anger issues, in his bed the Mirror reports.

She was intoxicated and mistakenly entered Redfern’s home, however, he was described as having acted "out of all proportion" when he dragged her outside by her feet the stamped on her in an “unjustified and gratuitous” attack.

A jury at Caernarfon Crown Court convicted Redfern of murder after over 14 hours of deliberation – despite him denying murder and manslaughter.

Mr Justice Bourne adjourned sentencing until Friday (March 31) but told Redfern: ”You are remanded in custody.

"You have been advised what the sentencing decision will be.”

  • Cops release CCTV of mooning thief and appeal for anyone who recognises his bum

Margret, of Birmingham, was described as a victim of “violent and cruel” actions from Redfern by prosecutor Michael Jones KC in his closing speech.

Barnes, who weighed just seven and a half stone, is said by the prosecution to have also had her suitcase thrown at her.

A statement from Redfern’s neighbour Lynn Hynes was read by junior prosecutor James Coutts.

She said that despite Redfearn often shouting in his house, that particular day he sounded like a “like a raving lunatic".

Hynes went outside where she found Ms Barnes in the "foetal position" before helping prop her up against a wall.

The former nurse and army first aider called 999. She added: "The call handler got a bit panicky and advised me to start chest compressions."

She said Ms Barnes’ skin then turned a "horrible creamy colour to grey" and she passed away.

For the latest breaking news and stories from across the globe from the Daily Star, sign up for our newsletter by clicking here.


  • 'Innocent' death row inmate who is 'mentally challenged' has evidence denied by court
  • Man says he killed girlfriend with axe after he 'went for the tree and it hit her head'
  • Suspected hitmen killed in plane crash as 'black hole' takes down wanted pair
  • Paedo bus driver who killed boy, 8, and then moved in with his parents could be freed

Source: Read Full Article