A terrifying snake bite left a one-year-old boy fighting for his life in hospital for 10 days where doctors said his survival was touch and go.
The tot was on holiday with his mum in Western Siberia, Russia when a viper sank its teeth into his tiny hand leaving medics scrambling to stop it proving fatal.
Grim snaps taken on the way to the Kuzbass Emergency Hospital in the Russian Kemerovo region, show just how much the boy's hand puffed up and changed colour.
READ MORE: Grandma horrified by 'biggest snake animal rescuers had ever seen' in her garden
When her son began to cry and she saw his hand, the mum immediately took him for urgent medical attention with the venom spreading by the minute down his arm and to his chest.
Doctors confirmed that it was a viper bite which was behind the lad's desperate agony.
The hospital's head of acute poisoning, Konstantin Sivoronov said: "Upon admission, the place where the baby had been bitten was clearly visible, there was a pronounced toxic-allergic edema with areas of haemorrhage."
Doctors provided the child with first aid, prescribed antihistamines, hormonal and blood-thinning drugs and said his survival was touch and go.
But 10 days after the bite, he was well enough to go home.
Viper bites are not unusual in the region and doctors are trained to deal with them, telling Newsflash that on average they get around 50 cases a year as summer starts to arrive and the snakes become more active.
Secret Facebook folder lets you see every 'friend' who's ever blanked you – view it now
They said this was so far the seventh case this year.
The statement by local authorities obtained by Newsflash added that the woman had been on holiday in the region which is in Western Siberia when her child was bitten.
They said: "Viper venom causes bleeding disorders, which can lead to thrombosis and other life-threatening complications, including respiratory arrest.
For more shocking stories from the Daily Star, make sure you sign up to one of our newsletters here
"When bitten, it is important not to panic and call an ambulance, because the result of treatment directly depends on how quickly arrives."
Vipers are venomous snakes that are found in most places of the world and are noted for their hinged fans that allow deep penetration for injection of the venom.
It is unclear which type of viper it was that bit the boy.
Lunging snake bites woman in eye socket as she opens front door
Brown bear mauls hunter to death in 'revenge attack' as it 'crushes' bloke's skull
'Pit bull-type' dog bites pensioner on nose and leaves her in 'bloodbath'
Seagull punched to death outside Wetherspoons after it stole a single chip
Eight-legged 'invisible' creatures have sex on your face while you sleep – researchers
Source: Read Full Article