World News

Brother heard desperate screams of boy, 8, killed after he went kayaking alone

The heartbroken parents of an eight-year-old boy who tragically died after falling out of his kayak during a family outing have paid tribute to their beloved son.

Sol was camping with family over the last weekend of the school holidays when he disappeared.

A major search operation with over 60 SES volunteers looked over the Mount Frankland National Park terrain in Southwest WA.

Police divers found his body on Friday, five days after he went missing.

It is reported that Sol ventured off on his own to go kayaking when he came into trouble.

Police revealed that his brother heard his terrified screams in the distance but couldn't see him.

For the latest breaking news and stories from across the globe from the Daily Star, sign up for our newsletter by clicking here.

In a statement through Western Australia police on Wednesday, his family thanked everyone who helped to recover their little boy.

"Sol was much loved by his parents, his brothers, and his community," the statement read.

"Our deepest thanks go to the Police, Emergency Services, Community Volunteers, and Civilian Contractors.

  • UK dog owners could face jail if they make their pet eat veggie diet

"We acknowledge the many individuals who gave everything in extreme conditions to recover our boy. We would also like to thank our friends and family for their comfort and support."

Sol had reportedly told his older brother he wanted to paddle through the foam near the waterfall but was warned it was too dangerous.

Great Southern Superintendent Kim Travers said: "The brother has heard him call out for help and immediately rushed down the little track… but he couldn't see his brother.

"What he did see was the little blue plastic kayak lodged in the tree that his brother had (carried) across."

A while later, the boy's jumper was discovered jammed underneath a rock by his father.

The recovery operation was "complex" and the body was safely recovered on Sunday, according to Superintendent Travers.

"[The recovery] would not have been possible without the mutual trust and respect of the family who have remained on-site throughout this recovery operation,' she said.

"The circumstances surrounding this heart-breaking incident will be subject of a report to the coroner."

Source: Read Full Article