World News

Non-league superfan dies after sinking 13 pints and falling down pub stairwell

A non-league football superfan has tragically died after drinking around 13 pints at an away game against Weymouth FC, an inquest has found.

Matthew Allcock, 46 from Hertfordshire, was tragically found at the bottom of a flight of stairs at a pub in Weymouth, Dorset.

Tributes poured in for the beloved Kings Langley FC supporter, who was a committee member and club sponsor, after his horrible death in January 2019, Dorset Live reports.

The club said in a statement: “Matt was known and loved by everyone at the club. His ultimate passing, at the age of just 46, has been deeply felt by everyone at the club and the community beyond.

“Matt was an inspiration to us all with boundless enthusiasm in support of the club and he, more than anyone, has done so much to engender the spirit of togetherness and camaraderie that exists throughout the club today.

“Matt will forever be fondly remembered by so many within our community. He will be hugely missed by everyone’s life he touched."

An inquest jury concluded Mr Allcock had consumed a “large quantity” of alcohol and died as a result of an accident.

The court heard that the man had been drinking for around 12 hours.

  • Pentagon's former UFO expert to release tell-all book exposing 'truth' about aliens

The inquest heard Mr Allcock attended The Sailors Return in Weymouth Harbour at around 12pm with two friends and had three pints before leaving for the match against Weymouth.

It was said he had a further three pints at the football ground before the match began.

Never want to miss a story like this? You can get all of Daily Star's articles sent directly to your inbox! Sign up in seconds here!

He then had a further beer during half time and had a further two or three pints at the previous bar after the match.

The 46-year-old then returned to the hotel bar with two friends where it's thought he had at least three pints and two spirt and mixers as he watched a live band, the inquest heard.

  • Thug used Staffy as weapon to bite man’s thigh after pushing him to the ground

Mr Allcock was seen carrying a glass to the stairs just before midnight but just 15 seconds later he was found on the floor by a staff member.

Mr Middleton said: “Mr Allcock is lying on his back, his legs and feet are upstairs, his head and left shoulder are behind the internal door and the internal door itself is ajar but seems to be wedged under Mr Allcock’s left armpit.”

The court heard paramedics arrived within 15 minutes and found Mr Allcock was in cardiac arrest.

Despite the best resuscitation attempts at Dorset County Hospital in Dorchester, he was sadly pronounced dead just after 1am on January 20.

There is no evidence that anyone saw or head Mr Allcock fall down the stairs.

  • Dog owner’s horror as pet slips over cliff edge before heroes launch rescue mission

But a pathologist confirmed Mr Allcock's cause of death was a head injury and there was evidence of a fractured skull bone and brain haemorrhaging.

An investigation was quickly launched but police did not think the death was suspicious.

Mr Middleton said: “There was no suggestion from the scene that this was anything other than an accident where the injured party had fallen down the stairs.”

Source: Read Full Article