World News

Rescue dog has lucky escape after swallowing fish hook during walk

Calling all dog lovers! Sign up to TeamDogs for your weekly dose of dog news, pictures and stories.

A poor dog was lucky to avoid major surgery after swallowing a fish hook while out walking.

One-year-old Runa had been out with her owners when the hook became lodged in her mouth.

The rescue dog, originally from Romania, had to be rushed to the vets after her worried owners struggled to remove it.

They are now warning other dog walkers to be wary, as they believe the hook could have been left there deliberately in Portishead, Somerset.

Owner Angus said: "We were just out on our regular walk by the marshlands where we live when Runa became really interested in something on a fence. I tried to get her to come away, but she was really interested in what she’d found.

"She started to eat it and so I ran over to her to try and get it off her, but she wouldn’t spit it out, so I tried to get it out of her mouth."

Runa became more distressed as he tried to remove the hook.

He added: "When I started pulling it, I couldn’t tell what it was.

"At first, I thought it was a frog, but then Runa started yelping and she was panicking. She started convulsing and she was choking.

"When I looked inside Runa’s mouth, I thought I could see a bone sticking up.

"She was really distressed, and I tried to pull it out but it wouldn’t budge. I stopped pulling but she was still choking, so I tried again and this time blood came flowing out."

Runa was treated by Olivia Lancaster, a veterinary surgeon at Vale Vets Portishead, a My Family Vets practice.

  • Pubs fear beer shortage ahead of indoor reopening as brewers swamped with demands

She said: "Runa was brought in as an emergency and when we examined her, we found a large fish hook embedded in the centre of her tongue.

"We couldn’t remove the hook whilst Runa was conscious, so she was anaesthetised and the hook was removed.

"Surprisingly there was minimal damage to her mouth, but Runa was given a course of pain relief and antibiotics to keep her comfortable and prevent infection.

  • Killer found hanging in prison died because officers thought he was already dead

"Runa recovered quickly from her anaesthetic and was walking about and wagging her tail within half an hour."

Olivia warned there has been an increase in similar incidents.

She added: "Fortunately, this is not a common occurrence, although it is becoming more frequent, mainly because there is often bait attached to discarded fish hooks, which dogs find enticing.

"Runa was one of the luckier dogs, as sometimes the fish hooks can be swallowed and become lodged, requiring emergency surgery to remove."

Dog owner Angus added: "I’d like people to know that it's a danger and there could be somewhere out there deliberately looking to hurt dogs."

"Everyone at Vale Vets Portishead was brilliant. They met us at the door of the surgery and made the whole process easier."

  • TeamDogs
  • Dogs

Source: Read Full Article