We will use your email address only for sending you newsletters. Please see our Privacy Notice for details of your data protection rights.
US President Donald Trump has refused to take part in the next US election debate against Democrat Joe Biden after it was announced the format would be held virtually. The event would have been the second Presidential debate between the two candidates and is set for October 15.
The debate was moved virtually after Mr Trump tested positive for coronavirus last week.
Mr Biden, who went up against Mr Trump in a bad-tempered first debate in September, has tested negative for COVID-19.
The debate was due to be hosted by the Adrienne Arsht Centre for the Performing Arts in Miami on October 15 at 9pm ET (2am in the UK).
But the whole event has now been thrown into doubt after Mr Trump said he would not due the debate in a virtual form.
Will the next US election debate be cancelled?
With Mr Trump’s latest statement where he refused to take part in a virtual debate, the important event could be up in the air.
The debate commission said in a statement: “The second presidential debate will take the form of a town meeting, in which the candidates would participate from separate remote locations.”
During an interview on the Fox Business Channel, Mr Trump said: “No I’m not going to waste my time on a virtual debate.”
The Trump administration claimed the commission made the change in favour of Mr Biden.
The Democratic candidate said earlier this week he did not think the debate should go on if Mr Trump still had COVID-19.
The US President has said he will be tested for coronavirus again very soon.
He told Maria Bartiromo on Thursday morning: “I don’t think I’m contagious.”
Source: Read Full Article