A Colorado man will face attempted murder charges for allegedly swerving across several lanes of traffic in a busy section of Interstate 25 and striking a motorcyclist in what investigators are calling an act of road rage.
Alberto Mota, 39, turned himself into the Douglas County jail Wednesday night where he remains on suspicion of three counts of attempted first-degree murder, four counts of felony menacing, vehicular assault, violating a bail bond, child abuse, four counts of reckless endangerment and driving without a valid license. A judge on Thursday set his bond at $50,000.
“We feel very strongly we can prove in court that this was an intentional act,” Colorado State Patrol Maj. J.P. Burt said Thursday at a news conference.
The motorcyclist, 54-year-old Quentin Quidley, remained hospitalized Thursday after being seriously injured in the crash, Burt said. The charges stem from a 2 p.m. Aug. 16 crash when Mota drove his Ford truck across several lanes of traffic and struck Quidley, who was driving a motorcycle. The crash occurred on I-25 near Castle Pines where the speed limit is 75 mph.
Mota spoke to investigators at the scene and told them he made an unsafe lane change and the crash was unintentional. But a crash re-creation, physical evidence and a video show that Mota’s initial story is unlikely, Burt said. Investigators would not elaborate further on what they think caused the altercation.
A driver who recorded the crash sent a video to Denver’s 9News, which then shared it with Colorado State Patrol. That video accelerated the investigation, Burt said, but it takes time to complete the in-depth crash analysis such a case requires. Investigators knew of Mota’s whereabouts during the two weeks it took to finish the investigation, he said.
Mota faces child abuse charges because his 12-year-old daughter was in the truck with him at the time of the crash, Burt said.
At the time of the crash, Mota was out on bond for a second-degree assault charge stemming from a 2018 incident. He previously pleaded guilty to a separate misdemeanor menacing charge in 2013.
Source: Read Full Article